Finance Number: (207) 284-9333
Official Seal of the City of Biddeford
Tax Number: (207) 284-9326
For your convenience, we have voice mail for after hours or if no one is immediately available.
Welcome to the City of Biddeford's Finance & Tax Department. "If it's money related, we either bill it, track it, control it, or account for it" Here are some of the things we do:
- Provide financial reporting to the Finance Committee, the City Council, and the public.
- Bill and track the collections of property taxes and place liens on delinquent accounts, both real estate and sewer use.
- Work with other city departments to assure proper asset control measures are in place with emphasis on separation of duties.
- Work closely with the City Manager in annual budget preparation work.
- Work with independent outside auditors to provide all source documents and supporting detail to allow them to conduct a full and thorough audit which leads to an opinion regarding the general purpose financial statements representing the City of Biddeford's financial position.
- Report the results of our annual audit to all municipal rating organizations such as Moody's and Standard and Poor's (S&P).
- Forecast cashflow and invest in secure (rated "AAAm" by S&P and "Aaa" by Moody's) institutional instruments balancing the daily cash requirements of the city with the goal of maximizing the return for the citizens of Biddeford.
- Conduct internal audits of various departments at differing times of the year.
- Provide guidance to all city departments regarding elements of accounting and controls.
- Audit and review all source journals for accuracy and completeness. Create, post, and file any recurring or general journal entries as may be required.
- Consolidate all school department financial activity including a monthly school/city reconciliation which allows for the publication of monthly internal general purpose financial statements detailing all Individual Fund and Account Group Statements including the city's:
- General Fund
- Special Revenue Funds
- Capital Projects Funds
- Proprietary Funds
- Fiduciary Funds
- Provide financial information to citizens and constituents.
- Assure tight controls over all municipal disbursements via the weekly warrant process which, provides for review by the Mayor, City Manager, and Member(s) of the Finance Committee.
Got questions? [Click here]