Biddeford's Zero Sort Curbside Recycling Program


The Biddeford Solid Waste Management Commission is providing this educational material as part of a larger education and outreach program to make sure the transition to the new system is a success.

Here are the basics:   (For our French readers please click here.)  

  • Homeowners receive two containers - a green 35± gallon container for trash and a larger blue 65± gallon container for recyclables. Provisions are available for high volume recyclers. 
  • Collection is weekly. 
  • Collection of recyclables is at curbside.
  • Collection of recyclables occurs on the same day trash is collected.
  • The City collects the green trash container and Pine Tree Waste collects the blue recycling container. 
  • Routes and schedules have been evaluated to make sure collection is as efficient as possible. 
  • Trash in excess of the green 35±gallon container is addressed through a Pay-As-You-Throw bag system. PAYT bag information
  • The program includes assistance for residents who may have difficulty meeting the recycling program requirements.
  • The Biddeford Transfer Station will remain open to accept cardboard, newspaper, milk jugs, office paper, plastics #1 & #2, tin cans, metal, batteries, brush, leaves, grass clippings, motor oil, tires, furniture, bulky waste, carpeting, mattresses, wood debris, televisions, computers, computer monitors, and computer accessories.

Acceptable recyclables for the blue recycling container include:

  • Newspaper
  • Glossy inserts
  • Magazines
  • Telephone books
  • Junk mail 
  • Tissue paper
  • Cardboard and paper board 
  • Glass
  • Plastics #1-7
  • Aluminum cans
  • Bi-metal cans
  • Unmarked rigid plastics
  • Catalogs
  • Office paper
  • Wet-strength paper board
  • Milk / juice cartons
  • Brown paper bags
  • Aluminum containers

As always, information on Transfer Station hours, acceptable materials, collection routes, and collection schedules will be available on the City of Biddeford website at or by calling either the Public Works Department or the Hotline (207) 571-0608.