Twitter
 

Fire Department Museum

Visit the Museum

Mike Tremblay  Museum Curator.
Mike Tremblay Museum Curator.

Mike Tremblay, the Department's Museum Curator, was born in Biddeford and attended Biddeford Schools.  Mike is a graduate of SMTC and is presently a patrolman with the Saco Police Department.  He has been with them for 30 + years. He is also a Captain with the Saco's Fire Department Call Force.  Mike's uncle, Emile Ouelette, served the Biddeford Fire Department for 50 years, retiring as District Chief of the call force. Mike has his own 1924 American LaFrance Fire truck and has a deep interest in history. Mike assumed the job as curator in January 2002 to assemble the collection of artifacts, photos and other memorobilia of the department after 13 years of museum inactivity. Because of Mike's dedication, expertice, and interest in the museum, it has now taken on a new  life and is headed in a positive direction.

____________________________

Museum Visits
Appointments to visit the museum can be made by calling the  
Fire Department @ 282-6632.
School and organization tours are most welcomed.

Coming Attractions
This depends on you! If you know of anyone who may have fire department memrobilia that could be donated to the museum, send them our way.  All donations are greatly appreciated!
______________________________

Visit The Museum

1924 Ahrens Fox

The Department is lucky that the center piece for the museum is a 1924 Ahrens Fox pumper. Delivered to the city in 1924, the truck is capabable of pumping 750 GPM and was Biddeford's first custom Pumper. It was joined by an Ahrens Fox Ladder Truck in 1926 and another Ahrens Fox piston pumper with 1,000 GPM pumping capacity in 1928. Engine 1 athough almost 80 years old it could still offer some pumping power at any fire.

Display Case # 1

Contains various fire helmets used by department members through the years.
Several trophies from fire musters can be seen on display both inside and outside the display case.
Over display case #1 are uniforms worn by members of the department in the fifties and early sixties. Also adjacent to display case #1 are various badges used by the department. Several of these badges date back to the 1800's.

Display Case #2

Contains pictures of members from 1860, 1870, 1880. One picture is that of Assistant Chief Samuel Hubbard, whom was appointed to that position in 1882. Also in the case are badges, two nozzles from the famous Hooper Street fire which occurred in 1963. Also various items such as  parade belts, steamer plates from the steam pumpers and assorted items.

Display Case # 3&4

Both of these cases contain the history of the Biddeford Fire Department dating back to 1832. Visitors can research back to daily logs, Fire Reports, Memberships, Expenses, Maintainance and Company Records.

Fire Alarm System

Biddeford went to a digital alarm system in the early seventies and the system replaced the famous Gamewell which had served the city since the late 1800's. Included are a working fire alarm box with street box and tapper.

Display Case # 5

Contains shoulder patches from all over the States and world!

Shelf Display

This changes continually with various items on display.