Thursday, November 1 2018 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM in
Council Chambers, Biddeford City Hall 205 Main Street 

Please be advised that a Public Meeting will be held on Thursday, November 1 2018 at 6:00 p.m. in Council Chambers, City Hall at 205 Main Street, Biddeford, for the purpose of updating residents on the proposed project as well as addressing comments and concerns from residents.   

The Engineering Department is a division of Public Works.  We handle sewer and storm drain permitting, archived plan requests, city boundary surveys, commercial and large scale residential construction inspections, road construction inspections, CSO separation planning, DEP permitting, design and monitoring of city infrastructure projects.


​WORK PLAN FOR THE WEEK OF October 1, 2018
​ The following is to provide you with information of what you can expect on Lincoln Street in Biddeford for the upcoming week.

​Please note that this information is based on a projected schedule and is subject to change due to weather, work progress and/or other circumstances.

​ All Business remain open.

​ Parking for Mulligan’s patrons will be in the Lot across the Street from the restaurant.


​ Work includes the continued installation of underground conduit and vaults for the future underground placement of the overhead utility lines. Storm drainage structures will be installed.

Future Work
​ On Tuesday October 9th, base pavement is scheduled to be installed.  This work will be followed by installation of curbing and sidewalk placement.

​Traffic Patterns

​Traffic will continue to be one way from Main St to Pearl.   Please follow detour and directional signage.

​ During paving preparation and actual paving the street will be closed to all traffic for periods of time. All Business are open and will be accessible. Parking will be available in the lot across the street from Mulligans’.



​between May Street and Dearborn Avenue WEEK OF 10/15/2018.​​

​Crews will be installing new sewer main and sewer services.  

RECONSTRUCTION of the sewer and water pipe on South Street in the area stated above has commenced. Every effort will be made to complete the work as quickly as possible. In order for the underground piping to be reconstructed in a quick and timely manner, we request that you do not park within the areas of the street that have “No Parking” signs erected between the hours of 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Some Saturday work may be necessary to meet required time schedules. Please observe and obey any “No Parking” signs that may be placed along the street or risk being towed. We anticipate this project to be completed within 18-20 weeks, weather permitting. We will make every effort to minimize any inconvenience this may cause and we thank you for your patience during this project. If you have any further questions, you can contact the City of Biddeford’s Public Works Department – 282-1579 or the Engineering Office at 284-9118. Please follow all road detour signs. Local residents will be allowed to travel to and from their homes on South Street and side streets that only have access from South Street.

August 1, 2018

South Street Construction Continues Through Summer

BIDDEFORD — The major construction project on South Street in the area between Elm Street to Mount Pleasant Street is expected to continue into the fall. The project, which includes reconstruction of the sewer, storm drain, water pipe, roadway, and sidewalks, has been underway since June 8. Weather permitting, construction is expected to continue for the next 18 weeks.

The contractor is working to complete the reconstruction as quickly as possible to minimize the impacts on residents and traffic. In order for the project to be completed efficiently, the street must be clear during construction hours. Drivers should not park within the areas of the street that are marked as “No Parking” zones between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Some additional Saturday work may be necessary to meet required time schedules, and any extra restrictions on these days will be posted. Cars that are parked in restricted areas may be towed.

Local residents will be allowed to travel to and from their homes on South Street and side streets that only have access from South Street. However, non-residential traffic should expect to be detoured from their typical route and should follow the provided directional signage. When possible, drivers should consider seeking an alternate route to their destination.

During the construction, approximately 2,400 feet of the original 1880s cast iron water main will be replaced with 8-inch ductile main by Maine Water. The nearly 140-year-old piping is undersized and has experienced breaks in the past that have interrupted service and caused other issues. Additionally, the City of Biddeford will separate sewer and storm drains along the route, and the Maine Department of Transportation will pave the other section of the work area.

The City will make every effort to minimize any temporary inconvenience this may cause and thanks residents for their patience during this project. When the project is completed, all Biddeford residents will see the benefits of the completely repaved road and new curbs and sidewalks, as well as cleaner water.

As City Engineer Tom Milligan explained, the sewer separation process will convert the old combined, single-pipe system into separate sewers for wastewater and storm water flows. With this new method, storm water will be discharged directly into receiving water, while wastewater will be treated before discharge.

“The new two-pipe system helps reduce Combined Sewer Outflow during heavy rainstorms when the collection systems piping exceeds its capacity,” Milligan said. “The previous one-pipe system led to a combination of wastewater and storm water overflow draining into bodies of water, which causes contamination.”

Updates on the status of the project will be posted under the Citywide Updates tab on Any additional questions can be directed to the Public Works Department at 282-1579 or the Engineering Office at 284-9118.

Request for Engineering Plans

Please fill out Request for Engineering Plans (PDF) and send the completed form via email to Johnathan Malloy. The department will contact you when plans are ready for pick up.

If you would rather have the plans emailed to you, please state that in your submission of the form. If there are numerous sheets, several emails or the use of a filesharing third party site will have to be utilized.

Sewer Permit Application Packet

If you need to install a new sewer line from your home or business, or you are repairing an existing line, please fill out the Sewer Permit Application Packet (PDF).