Definitions for the Online FOG Registration Form
- Cold Water Mix Valve: A valve attached to a sink or other drain line that introduces cold water to lower the temperature of the discharge to solidify liquified fats, oils, and grease so that the solidified material is easier to remove
- Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG): Any substance such as a vegetable or animal product that is used in, or is a by product of, the cooking or food preparation process, and that turns or may turn viscous or solidify with a change in temperature or other conditions.
- Food Service Establishment (FSE): Any permanent facility within the boundaries of the City of Biddeford, which prepares and/or packages food or beverages for distribution, sale, or consumption, on or off site, which has any process or device that uses or produces FOG. Excluding private residences, FSEs include but are not limited to food courts, food manufacturers, food packagers, food processors, restaurants, sandwich shops, grocery stores, bakeries, butchers, limited food service establishments, lounges, hospitals, hotels, nursing homes, churches, and school cafeterias.
- Grease Control Device: Any grease interceptor, grease trap, or other mechanism or device, which attaches to, or is applied to, wastewater plumbing fixtures and lines, the purpose of which is to trap, collect, or treat FOG prior to it being discharged into the sewer system. "Grease control device" may also include any other proven method to reduce FOG subject to the approval of the Director.
- Grease Interceptor (GI): A device, usually located underground and outside between a food service establishment and the connection to the sewer system, designed to collect, contain, and remove food wastes and grease from the process waste stream while allowing the remaining wastewater to be discharged to the POTW Each grease interceptor shall constitute a separate device.
- Grease Trap (GT): A grease control device, usually located inside the building immediately downstream from a sink or other appliance, designed to collect, contain, and remove food wastes and grease from the process waste stream while allowing the remaining wastewater to be discharged to the collection system. Each grease trap shall constitute a separate grease control device.
- Limited-Food Service Establishment (L-FSE): A food service establishment generally engaged only in reheating, hot holding, or assembly of ready-to-eat food products, and as a result, wastewater discharges contain insignificant amounts of FOG. L-FSE are not engaged in deep frying or grilling.