Remember, you count! Make sure to respond to the 2020 Census at my2020census.gov.
Every ten years, the U.S. Census Bureau counts every living person in the United States once, only once, and in the right place.
The 2020 Census is Important
The results of the 2020 Census will help determine how $675 billion in federal funding flow into communities every year for the next decade. That funding is spent on schools, hospitals, roads, public works, and other vital programs that provide critical services that Biddeford residents access each day.
The 2020 Census is Safe
- Census Bureau employees are sworn to protect confidentiality for life.
- The Census Bureau does not share information with any other agencies or organizations.
- Private information, such as names, addresses, telephone numbers or Social Security numbers, is never published.
- From the beginning of the process when a respondent answers online to the end when statistics are released, your data is encrypted, safe, and secure.
The 2020 Census is Easy
The Census asks you to report the number of people living in your household, as well as a few simple questions about each person: their name, age/date of birth, race and origin, sex, relationship to you, and tenure in household. You will also need to provide a phone number that will only be used if the Census Bureau needs to contact you about your responses.
In addition to English, the Census is offered in 12 languages, and language guides are also available for 59 languages.
You can see exactly what the Census will look like (and learn why each question is asked) here.
It’s important to complete a census for all properties, including seasonal homes! If you live at multiple places throughout the year, count yourself at the address where you live and sleep most of the time. If you split your time evenly between two or more places, count yourself where you were staying on April 1, 2020. However, a census response is required from each and every property.
For any property you own but only use part of the time, follow these instructions:
1. Visit www.my2020census.gov.
2. Enter the Census ID or address for this secondary property
3. Enter “0” for the number of people living at this property
4. Hit Next, and when a “soft error” occurs, click Next again
5. Select “No” when asked to confirm no person lives at this property
6. Select primary reason – Seasonal (most likely)