Smoke Testing Sewer Lines
Wright-Pierce will be conducting a smoke test of portions of the City's sanitary sewer system. This survey will assist our inspection crews in locating breaks and defects in the sewer system.
The smoke you may see coming from building vent stacks, building roof leaders, the ground, or manholes is NON-TOXIC, NON-STAINING, HAS NO ODOR, IS WHITE TO GRAY IN COLOR, AND CREATES NO FIRE HAZARD. The graphic below shows examples of places where you may see smoke during the test.
Homeowners will receive notices in the form of door hangers prior to testing in their area. If the area near your home is set to be tested, please take note of the following:
- The smoke should not enter your home unless you have defective plumbing or dried up plumbing traps.
- It is advisable for the homeowner to pour a gallon of water into floor drains/other plumbing fixtures after notice is received of nearby testing.
- If smoke enters your home or business, this is an indicator that sewer gases may also be entering your home or business. You should notify work crews if this occurs. If you are not home and discover smoke when you return, please call the contact below.
- If there is any individual in your home or business who has respiratory problems and is immobile, please call the contact below prior to testing.
- Please be advised that weather, weekends, and holidays may extend the announced testing schedule.
CONTACT: Steve Guerrette or Alex Liptak @ 207-725-8721
Smoke testing is set to begin on Wednesday, November 18 on the following streets:
- Elm Street (Diamond Street to Mason Street)
- Hooper Street
- Lincoln Street
- Center Street
- Kossuth Street
- Green Street
- Wentworth Street (South Street to York Court)
- Wentworth Court
- Smalls Court
- South Street (Elm Street to Wentworth Street)
- St. Mary Street
- Spruce Street
If time permits, testing will continue up Elm Street as follows:
- Elm Street (Mason Street to Alfred Street)
- Union Street
- Wentworth Street (Union Street to Mason Street)
- Green Street (Union Street to Mason Street)
- Mason Street (Wentworth Street to Graham Street)
- Birch Street (Green Street to Graham Street)
- Graham Street (In vicinity of Birch Street)
- Portions of Orchard Street and Cherry Lane (near Elm Street)
- Taylor Street (Elm Street to May Street)
- Amherst Street (Elm Street end)
- Beacon Avenue (Elm Street end)
- Dartmouth Street (Elm Street to Round Hill Street)
- Hannaford Parking Lot/Sleepy Hallow Parking (Elm Street to Graham Street)
Please note that this schedule is subject to change.