General Assistance Administrator
The City of Biddeford Maine has an amazing opportunity for an experienced General Assistance professional seeking an opportunity to be an innovative leader within an organization that has experienced an economic revival centered on a nationally-recognized creative community in our downtown. Once expected to dwindle in population, a growing Biddeford is now the youngest community in Maine and is continuing to transform as new residents and entrepreneurs are attracted to the community.
Under supervision of the Biddeford City Clerk, this position is responsible for administration and management of the General Assistance Department which includes but is not limited to, General Assistance, Representative Payee Program, Cartmill Trust, Biddeford Fuel Fund, and Biddeford Fire Fund. The GA Administrator requires a thorough knowledge of State Statute, General Assistance Ordinance, and immigration laws. Responsible for supervising and the direct work with the General Assistance Caseworker. Work is carried out with considerable independence, judgement and initiative. Considerable discretion, professional judgement, and the ability to maintain confidentiality is required.
The General Assistance Administrator is responsible for all day-to-day operations of the Department, including
- Establish and carry out all goals and objectives for the Department.
- In conjunction with the City Clerk, prepare the General Assistance budget including monitoring revenues and expenditures on a regular basis; Process and/or manage the processing of invoices and voucher payments through MUNIS.
- Develop and utilize community resources to lessen the need for City assistance.
- Manage client case files, maintain detailed client records, immigrations, records, prepares and submitted monthly reports, and supervise work of the General Assistance Caseworker.
- Assists the City Manager with eligibility analysis of poverty abatement applications.
- Responsible for intake, interview, research, investigation, determining eligibility, record keeping, and referrals to other agencies or resources so client self-sufficiency can be achieved; Takes applications for General Assistance, interviews clients, investigated and determines eligibility in accordance of State Statute and General Assistance ordinance.
- Manages and administers the Representative Payee Program in accordance with the Social Security Administration.
- Works with Biddeford PD to investigates possible fraud and abuse of welfare programs and reports irregularities to appropriate officials.
- Required to be on call for after hour emergencies.
- Attend and participate in Maine Welfare Directors Association (MWDA) and other community meetings and trainings.
Please forward a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Diana DePaolo, email@example.com, by June 4, 2021.