The City of Biddeford is seeking a staff accountant to join their Finance team. This position will be responsible for both the accounts receivable and accounts payable daily functions while also assisting with account reconciliations, general ledger entries, daily cash reconciliations and related ad hoc analysis as required by Finance Director and other department heads.
The Finance department seeks a motivated team player with a positive attitude and desire to add value as they work together to support the growth and new commitments that the City of Biddeford has been charged to support.
This is a perfect opportunity for an entry level staff accountant whose enthusiasm will lead them to grow in a municipal finance department and apply their experiences to elevate their career.
Minimum Desired qualifications:
- 2-year degree or certificate in Accounting/Finance or comparable applicable experience
- 2 years’ experience in general ledger accounting, accounts receivable and/or accounts payable
- Proficient in Excel and Microsoft related products
- Experience working with integrated accounting systems
- Experience with Munis ERP accounting software preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively with both outside billing vendors and with other departments on related projects.
- Willingness to learn new things and keep a positive attitude
- Ability to think independently to work out problems
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
Some key expectations for this position:
- Be the first contact citizens and employees will have with the finance department. These contacts will include both in-person, telephone and e-mail interactions.
- Responsible for accounts receivable daily functions for the City to include:
- City’s Sewer monthly and quarterly billing, including importing data from Maine Water, and exporting data to 3rd party bill processor
- Reconciling accounts receivable (both sewer and miscellaneous) sub-ledger activity to general ledger; Daily cash reconciliations and receipt postings
- Accounts Payable daily functions for the City, to include:
- Adding new vendors/entering vendor invoices; Analyzing account coding of department-entered requisitions
- Perform various general ledger account reconciliations and maintenance; Prepare journal entries
Wage is negotiable DOE
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $21.38 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- AD&D insurance
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid sick time
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Associate (Preferred)
- Accounting: 2 years (Preferred)
- Microsoft Excel: 2 years (Preferred)